Monday, September 3, 2007

Activity #3 - Tolerance.org tests

I completed three IATs to determine hidden biases that I may exhibit, and the following are the results:

  • Family – Career IAT : Little or no association between Male and Female with Career and Family
  • Fat – Thin IAT : Moderate automatic preference for thin people compared to fat people
  • Gay – Straight IAT : Little to no automatic preference between straight and gay people

I am always somewhat skeptical about taking online tests; however, I found that the results of these tests seemed quite accurate. I have very liberal views so I am extremely supportive of gay rights and women’s rights. I was proud to see that the results of my IATs showed that I had no preference between gays and straights or male and female with career and family. Although I am very supportive, I do not feel that I attempt to side with homosexuals or women over heterosexuals and men so I was glad to see that I didn’t show a strong preference for women or gay people either. I am not as proud as the results for my Fat – Thin IAT; however, I believe the results do reflect my beliefs. I have always played sports throughout my life, so I am used to being around people that are in shape. This usually means I’m around more thin people. Although I do not express an outward biased against fat people, I do believe that my past experiences may have instilled a hidden bias.

After completing the second assigned reading, I was somewhat annoyed by the extent of the –isms that were discussed, especially dealing with age and disability. I thought, “Who really would think or do those things?” After completing the IAT on weight, I realized if I had read an article discussing the biased against fat people before taking the test I probably would have been thinking the same thing. Now I know that I do reflect some of those feelings that I had been quite skeptical about. I think this was the main purpose of opening the Women’s Studies course with the IATs. Many people are apt to brush off much of the information in the readings believing it doesn’t really reflect the majority of society; however, now I know that the readings do reflect my beliefs and I can learn from this course.

After completing the IATs I think that others may learn that they have hidden biases as well. After seeing actual test results that showed I had a hidden bias, I am able to confront the issue straight on. I think this testing product will enlighten others to my same feelings. I do realize, though, that the IATs are not completely accurate so people should not be upset if they see they show an extreme preference towards a bias. The tutorial even specifies that it has not been firmly established whether laboratory studies “adequately reflect real-life situations”. So the tutorials do hide the extent to which one displays his or her bias. What people should learn is that they may in reality hide this bias to some extremity and it should be analyzed.

It is important to think about our prejudices and biases because they reflect on our beliefs whether we realize it or not. The tutorial states that “studies show a link between hidden biases and actual behavior”. I may have unknowingly put down a fat person without even realizing it, and I do not want that to reflect upon my character. Some may believe that their prejudices are acceptable; however, that decision is dependent upon the person. Even though the tutorial explains that a prejudice can be positive, I personally feel that the term carries a very negative connotation and therefore no prejudice is acceptable. A prejudice involves creating an opinion about many people, and I think that people are so different there is no way one characterization of a group describes all the people involved. I do not want to be stereotyped, therefore I do not feel it is right to stereotype others. I think I may have chosen the weight IAT because truly I did know I had a slight issue with fat people, and I wanted to see how the test categorized my belief. Now that I see that I do show a bias towards fat people, I will be able to work on changing the negative attitude I have created against them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is really well done -- especially how you show the way you are "digesting" the concepts from the reading in your personal refelction on the activity