Tuesday, August 28, 2007

CRJ#1 - Defining Feminism

When I first heard the term feminism being discussed in this class, I thought, “What did I get myself into?” I’ve always thought of the word in a negative aspect, and I found I believed the exact myths the readings were attempting to disprove. I am a very liberal person and believe in equality for all, so I was surprised to ready the authors’ two core principles that define all concepts of feminism. The first principle was that “feminism concerns equality and justice for all women, and it seeks to eliminate systems of inequality and injustice in all aspects of women’s live” (pg 9). Before reading I had believed that feminists were simply trying to gain power over men, but after reading the context I realized that feminists are simply trying to gain equal rights. This is one of my main beliefs, that everyone should be treated equally, so I began to start thinking that maybe I was a feminist. The second core concept defining feminism was that it is “inclusive and affirming of women; it celebrates women’s achievements and struggles and works to provide a positive and affirming stance toward women and womanhood” (pg 9). Since I am studying in the field of science, I find that I do not find much information about women’s discoveries and inventions. I was excited to hear that feminists actually celebrate these less famous achievements and make a point to show that women are capable of amazing achievements. After reading the short description of a feminist and actually understanding the meaning, I realized that I truly am a feminist. I couldn’t believe that a word that had immediately begun to turn me off to women’s studies actually defined me.

I now see feminists in a very positive aspect and agree with the authors that these people are still needed today. A huge leap was made during the women’s movement, but, especially in my industry, I see that women still struggle to attain the same respect as men. Shaw and Lee define some of the problems that still exist to include discrimination and harassment in the workplace, domestic violence, rape and abuse, and homophobia along with many others (pg 17). It’s almost shocking to believe that in our advanced culture today that society still places these burdens upon women. After reflecting on my two years I spent co-oping in the industry, I do remember witnessing some of these problems and feeling there was nothing to really be done about these situations. I think Deborah L. Rhode explained this phenomena best when she stated, “…where women feel powerless to avoid inequality, they are likely to avoid acknowledging it” (pg 56). Until I actually read about the issues where women should still be fighting for equal rights, I didn’t even realize it was happening right before my eyes.

These first sets of readings were very interesting, and I look forward to reading more about the problems that still persist and what I can do about them. I actually have found myself discussing this topic with my mom, sister, and boyfriend and found that none of them even realized what the word feminist actually meant either. I am excited to learn more this semester and help spread this hidden knowledge.

No comments: